With the new year bringing thoughts of resolutions and the fact that my wardrobe has become rather thin of late (and that being a poor student I cannot afford to buy myself a new one) I have decided to take up a sewing challenge.
The main idea came from a few places:
Sewing Your Style on tumblr with her “Check Out My DIY Wardrobe” post.
Sew Country Chick with her post “Sewingyour basic Wardrobe.”
While her suggestions for a basic wardrobe is great for most people, those of us with more unusual tastes may find it a little harder.
A little info before I start. I am a Goth, a Goth with more of a Victorian flavour so most of my projects will be based around that. I adore the ornate and the unusual, as well as historical fashion so that has crept into my plans.
So here is my Sewing Plan:
- High collar blouses in black and white
- Shirt with v neck and large bell sleeves
Skirts- Semi bustled/gathered back victorian skirt
- Witchy handkerchief hem black skirt
- Corset laced pencil skirt
- Fishtail skirt with frilled bottom
- Fishtail skirt with gathered base
- Fishtail skirt with pleated bottom with alternate inner colour
- Victorian (natural form) bustle skirt
- Long skirt with back ruffles
- Knee length (for over petticoats)
in a spider web fabric
in plain black satin
in blue velvet
Jackets and Capes- Victorian military style jacket
- Lily Munster style cape
- Opera cloak
- Dolman Mantle
- Under bust sleeping corset
- Under bust everyday (underwear) corset
- Under bust pleather corset
- Under bust vinyl corset
- Under bust brocade corset
Suits- black pencil skirt and tailored jacket set
Hats and Fascinators- Veiled hats
And anything else I feel like making.
My main idea is to try and make one garment a fortnight. If I can make one a week, even better, but to start off with I think one a fortnight is more achievable for a sewing beginner like me.
And in the spirit of New Years Resolutions I thought I would share some of my other resolutions.
- Learn to play 5 songs on the piano:Primavera
Comptine D'un Autre Ete L'Apres Midi
Lacrimosa (piano solo)
Weep You No More, Sad Fountains
Swansong for a Raven (piano solo)
- Create an inspiring sewing studio space
- Design and create my dream wardrobe (Fits rather well with this)
- Own a corset collection (So does this one)
- Create a beautiful gothic garden